Free Interactive Report
A State by State Index of the UN Sustainable Development Goals in the US
The U.S. is facing a crossroads. As the country enters a new era, Americans redefine the future they want to see. Opportunities for collaboration, progress, and sustainability exist in abundance. X4Impact (now GC Insights) was selected as the data provider for Concordia's first U.S.-focused summit, which took place in a digital and in-person capacity from Lexington, Kentucky in April 2022.
Watch the presentation of the SDG Index at the Lexington Summit to see X4Impact (now GC Insights) data in action.
Select a State to see a detailed report below.
Choose a state from the selector on the right to see details for that state.
Washington - UN Sustainable Development Goals
Below you’ll find details for Washington for 17 key indicators related to each of the UN SDGs, including how Washington ranks against the other states on each indicator, as well as a list of the top nonprofit organizations working on select issue areas related to human services, climate change & clean energy, social justice & inequality.
States are ranked from 1-50, where 1 is closest to the goal for each indicator. For NGOs, 1 represents the state with the most organizations in that impact area.
Note: it may be possible for two or more states to have the same value for an indicator. In these instances they receive the same ranking.
Explore our companion interactive reports to learn more about a specific SDG in the US, view other key indicators for Washington, and learn more about the nonprofits operating in the state that work on UN SDG related issues.
Learn more about top nonprofit organizations in Washington below.
* Excludes Public Utilities
* Excludes Hospitals and Clinics
Looking for more data?
Explore our companion interactive reports that cover each UN Sustainable Development Goal in more detail. View other critical indicators for the US, from minimum wage and mental health, to natural disasters and gender equality. Learn more about the 598,554 organizations working on UN SDG related issues and the 3.6T of annual income reported by these organizations.
Visit our Tech Solution Directory which showcases 3,300+ innovative Tech for Good organizations supporting social impact and the public sector, addressing challenges related to food waste & plastic pollution, homelessness & food insecurity, endangered species, education, and much more.
- Homeless individuals: United States Interagency Council on Homelessness
- Food insecure households: ERR-275, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service
- Hospital beds per 1,000 people: Kaiser Family Foundation( KFF)
- Average student debt: EducationData.org
- Gender pay gap: US Census Bureau
- People without access to toilets, sinks, or clean water: US Census Bureau
- Energy from renewable sources: U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
- People living below poverty line: US Census Bureau
- Roads in good or fair condition: Bureau of Transportation Statistics
- Equal Employment Complaints per 1,000 workers: U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission & Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Trips on public transportation: National Transit Database
- Value of groceries wasted per capita: US Packaging and Wrapping & GC Insights Analysis of Bureau of Economic Analysis, US Department of Commerce Personal Expenditures by State 2019 and Economic Research Service U.S. Department Of Agriculture Food Loss Estimates
- Per capita CO2 emissions (metric tons): US Energy Information Administration (EIA), State Energy Data System
- Marine Protected Areas: NOAA's Marine Protected Areas Inventory (MPA Inventory)
- Forest coverage: The USDA Forest Service Forest Inventory & Analysis Program
- People in the correctional system: The US Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Statistics
- Percent of population with access to broadband internet: BroadbandNow